Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager
The Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager works directly with the Artistic Director. This position is a member of the artistic and chorus operations team. He/She/They are expected to work closely and effectively with the Artistic Director, Executive Director, Music Librarian, and any other staff as deemed necessary to ensure clear communication regarding artistic needs for all choral rehearsals, performances, and events. Clear and timely dissemination of pertinent artistic information is paramount to the responsibilities of the Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities
The primary roles of the Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager are as follows:
- During rehearsal, the Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager will be available to respond to any requests made by the conductor such as, but not limited to: marking parts and/or scores; facilitating warm-ups; running sectionals and/or conducting parts of tutti choral rehearsals; listening for balance, and other artistic duties as assigned.
- Following each rehearsal, the Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager will provide rehearsal notes to the Artistic Director (who may ask the Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager to communicate some or all of these notes to the chorus) .
- Coordinating all arrangements in conjunction with the Artistic Director and Executive Director. These arrangements include but are not limited to:
- aiding the assembly and disassembly of the chairs for regular rehearsals and the choral risers for orchestra/dress rehearsals;
- aiding in the arrangements for instrumentalists (including seating, music stands, music scores, and lighting, if necessary);
- aiding in the arrangements for the conductor (including podium, music stand and lighting if necessary);
- creates and provides seating/riser charts for performances and rehearsals;
- oversee delivery of the choral risers for performances; and,
- managing the chorus as is related to production.
- Manage and oversee section leader and volunteer singer auditions in partnership with the Artistic Director. Serves as primary point of contact for all audition inquiries.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, manages and executes contracts for section leaders; tracks hours and payroll information.
- Update and maintain chorus member website, Chorus Connection, with rehearsal and performance details.
- Manage and enforce singer and section leader attendance policy, tracking weekly attendance.
- Creates yearly singer commitment surveys in coordination with Artistic Director and Executive Director. Creates additional surveys to collect chorus member feedback and information as needed.
- Gathers relevant information, creates copy and content, and sends out eNews to chorus, staff and board of directors on a weekly basis.
- Communicates with chorus about production schedule and logistics, serves as main point of contact
- Serves as a member of the Chorus Management Council (CMC), and as liaison between CMC Members, Artistic Director, Executive Director, chorus members, and staff.
Additionally, except as permitted by the Artistic Director at his sole discretion, the Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager shall attend and participate in every performance as well as every rehearsal as outlined in the season calendar provided by MCP. This participation is expected to include singing with the chorus when not conducting or participating in other duties as assigned. The Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager is also required to attend at least 3 board meetings per year. He/She/They shall report all absences or missed rehearsal time, other than that previously agreed upon with the Artistic Director. The Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager shall be punctual with respect to each rehearsal and performance, be fully musically prepared for all rehearsals and performances and, shall provide musical leadership for the Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager's voice section and the full chorus. Other duties may be assigned as necessary and as mutually agreeable between the Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager and Artistic Director.
The Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager must have extensive conducting and administrative experience. Masters degree or commensurate experience. The ideal candidate must be able to handle organizational and communication aspects of the position in a positive, professional, and timely manner. Must work well under pressure and be willing to take directions and requests from many people while being able to prioritize tasks. Candidates for the position must be flexible and willing to be available to help, maintaining patience and a positive attitude amidst a sometimes hectic and always busy concert season. Above all, must have a positive attitude and be a team player. Candidates should be resident in the greater Philadelphia community and be able to lead a rehearsal on short notice in the absence of the Artistic Director.
INTERVIEW: By appointment / virtual video conference with the Artistic Director.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 15, 2021
APPOINTMENT DATE: August 1, 2021
COMMITMENT: Part-Time (approximately 10 hours per week)
COMPENSATION: $12,000/per year (no benefits)
TO APPLY: Send a cover letter and CV/resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Assistant Conductor and Chorus Manager Application.” Additionally, please include links to approx. 3-4 video excerpts of your conducting in contrasting styles and in a combination of performance and rehearsal. (No more than 15 total minutes of total video).
Mendelssohn Chorus of Philadelphia is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.